We’re all familiar with the age-old riddle: What came first, the chicken or the egg? This seemingly simple question has tormented philosophers, scientists, and humanity for centuries.
I dare to pose a similar question: What came first, life or purpose?
My mantra is, “Every life has a purpose.” And get this: our purpose was birthed before we were born! God saw a need in the world and then we were born to fulfill it … nobody is a mistake!
Don’t miss your promised land
If you don’t know the purpose of your life, you could spend years in frustration, trekking through life with a defeatist mentality. The road called “fear of failure” is paved with missed opportunities, unfulfilled dreams, and miserable relationships. Don’t be like the people of Israel who wandered the desert for 40 years, on a journey that should have taken 11 days. Don’t be so crippled by doubt and fear that you miss your promised land—a land filled with possibilities, purpose, fulfillment, prosperity, and joy and love for God, yourself, and people.
Don’t despise the days of small beginnings
Some people know their purpose, but choose to fight against it. Some see themselves as unqualified or unworthy, or worry that their purpose is not lofty or grandiose enough to make a difference in the world. To these people I say:
- “Get your mind out of the desert! Be bold. Have faith like a mustard seed, which is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of all garden plants and becomes a tree!” (Matthew 13:32)
I enjoy using the “birth” of my blog, Uwana, to illustrate this principle.
- Uwana began as an idea that grew into a vision
- Uwana began with 1 post, 1 visitor, 1 like, 1 follower
- Today Uwana grows steadily, attracting visitors from sea to sea
If you don’t nurture your vision during the days of small beginnings, you could derail your purpose and thwart God’s tremendous plans for you:
- “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).
So what do you think came first, life or purpose?
Copyright © 2012 Uwana.