As a person of color, I’m always intrigued to read about black culture and how we as a people perceive ourselves. Although some would believe that the black community is monolithic in its thinking, this is furthest from the truth. Comments and opinions under the hashtag
#MyUnpopularBlackOpinion reveal that not all black people share the same opinions regarding race, politics, relationships, hair, fashion, education, music, food, you name it.
- Not every white person is Racist & our history does not give us the right to be rude to every white person.
- Americans don’t live in a “post racial society” and we are still suffering from the results of slavery.
- Racism isn’t our problem to solve cause it was never our fault.
- A lot of yall pull the race card before even knowing what happened… It’s devalues our movements as a whole
- Praying is not gonna stop systemic racism. Time we take matters into our own hands on our feet and off our knees.
- There’s no such thing as sounding white. We won’t progress as a race with a belief that voice associates with race
- Speaking properly isn’t speaking white. Since when is being proper only a white trait?
- Black people are racist too
- Y’all need to stop saying he wanted to be white. He had vitiligo. He was a proud black man. (regarding Michael Jackson)
Dark Skin vs Light Skin Beauty
- Darkskin women been fine. This didn’t happen overnight.
- Being lightskin does not automatically make you pretty and being darkskin doesn’t make you ugly.
- That lightskin-darkskin stuff is a direct descendent of white supremacy. don’t feed into that.
- My dark skin was always beautiful. Didn’t take the “melanin” trend to make me feel “IN”.
- Light Skin and Dark Skin jokes aren’t jokes. Their suppressed brainwashing. STOP IT.
- Just cause I’m light-skinned doesn’t mean I’m not black, stop telling me I cant be black because I’m not dark.
Relationships, “Mixed” Kids, and Fatherhood
- Interracial relationships are not the problem. The problem is when you bash ur own race & refuse to date within it.
- Being in an interracial relationship is not a sign of self hate.
- The not having a father jokes have never seemed funny to me.
- A single mother CAN NOT teach a boy how to be a man..
- Growing up without a father is MUCH harder, but it is NOT a death sentence.
- Mixed kids are no more beautiful than chocolate babies.
- Its not cute to have young children cursing, twerking or fighting and the adults in the room egging it on.
- Stop referring to your husband, fiance or boyfriend as “my nigga”. If you truly love him you would respect him.
Black Women (BW)
- We need to treat our African American women like the queens that they are. Chivalry isn’t dead.
- I don’t want any compliment that ends with “for a black girls”
- As a BW, we really don’t care what race BM date…we just get mad when you belittle us.
- Black women don’t need to be hyper-sexualised to be attractive period.
- I do not want to be anyone’s “trap queen.”
Natural Hair, Good Hair, and Self Hate
- Good hair” and “dark skin vs. light skin” are forms of internalized racism taught to promote colorism & self hate
- There’s more to black culture than natural hair styles, fat asses and big lips.
- Just because a girl has short hair doesn’t mean she is ugly or bald…
- Just bc you wear weave doesn’t mean you have no hair.
- “Good hair” means healthy hair, but does not mean a certain length or a certain texture.
- How is hair that grows naturally from someone’s scalp not for them..
- “Natural hair isn’t for everybody” is the DUMBEST statement. How is embracing what you were born with not for you?
- There is no such thing as “good hair” whatever hair you were born with is “good” enough. Spirals, waves, or Kinks.
- When I went natural, it was more Black people than white people who had something negative to say.
- My relaxed hair does not mean that I value Eurocentric beauty and hate myself and my culture.
Education: Intelligence Isn’t white
- Using proper grammar & enjoying reading for fun does not mean you’re “acting white.”
- I’m sick of boys trying to become rappers, go be a damn doctor, a lawyer, something.
- Sports and rapping is not the only way out the hood.
- Talking with slang doesn’t make you ‘ghetto’ & using proper grammar doesn’t make you sound ‘white.’
- My ability to form coherent sentences and my vast vocabulary doesn’t make me “white”. Intelligence isn’t white.
- It’s okay if you’re not good in sports. Get in those books and stay in them.
Black Music Culture
- Really don’t like rap music; between the excessive profanity, violence and degradation of women I can’t stand it
- 90s hip hop SLAYS current hip hop.
- I don’t get the Drake beard or music love.
- It’s ok to listen to other genres of music other than Hip-Hop and Trap.
- I’d rather listen to Maroon 5 than young thug. he raps like courage the cowardly dog tryna explain a situation.
- Beyoncé is alright. Music wise she’s okay. Looks wise she’s decent. Yall overhype her.
- Beyonce is a normal human being and shouldn’t be worshipped.
- Tyler Perry movies are the same. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. OF. THEM.
- The black community doesn’t know the extent Michael Jackson cared about his own race. He was hella woke.
- Dresses and Jordan’s don’t go together.
- Pulling up sagging pants will not end inequality for black boys or men.
Thoughts on Southern Cuisine
- Fried chicken is overrated and it’s killing our people.
- I hate kool aid it’s either too damn sweet or bland color water.
- Peach cobbler is horrible.
- Collard greens are disgusting.
- Grits are nasty.
- Cornbread is disgusting.
Sound off your “unpopular opinion” with the hashtag